If you have been following the Fence Posts, you will remember my struggle in deciding what to plant to make the fence appear more grounded to the landscape, more purposeful.
And, after experimenting in Photoshop with New Dawn roses and hydrangeas, I settled on the hydrangea option. If you saw the “High on Hydrangeas” post, then you know that they are a significant design element in the beds in the front of the house, and I figured why reinvent what is already a beautiful wheel?
So, after consulting with Cindy and Carlos, my mother’s trusted and MUCH-loved and -appreciated garden helpers, we settled on the following assortment of plants:
And we incorporated the small boxwoods that were displaced from the crescent-shaped bed shown in the first photo.
We worked with the crescent-shaped bed and created a shape that allowed for a deeper bed at the corner that narrows to a 4-feet-deep bed that continues the length of the fence.
We marked the outline of the new bed and began to dig! We added plenty of composite and peat moss to the soil.
As you can see, Daisy in the foreground and Emmet at the back are surveying the installation of the new bed. Note: the beautiful-to-be, new plants are on the other side of their area! Daisy is a digger.
We watered our plants in and now we will wait to see what the spring brings!