Annie and Laura teamed up this spring to deliver us the perfect marriage of Laura’s fresh & exuberant art and Annie’s passion for high quality, happy textiles. To celebrate, we caught up with the iconic artist, Laura Park.
1. How did you begin your career as an artist?
After my father passed away, I started painting as a form of therapy. I had a retail space in Charlotte, NC and started selling art in the retail store.
2. What drew you to be an artist?
My grandmother was an artist, so I’ve been surrounded by art my entire life. My husband, Trip Park, is also an artist, and he has really encouraged and pushed me with my art.
3. When did you first discover you had a talent for painting?
Probably when the first gallery called. My husband actually submitted me for my first gallery without me knowing. Gregg Irby called me from her Atlanta gallery and I was shocked and thrilled!
4. Can you recall what your first few paintings were like?
Honestly, I cannot, however, I’m sure they look different than what I do today!
5. Has your painting style evolved over the years?
Absolutely! I’m always experimenting.
6. How many paintings are you typically working on?
4-5 at once.
7. What is your favorite piece you’ve ever done?
Déjà vu. I sent it to Annie Selke for their catalog!
8. How does collaborating with other designers work with your painting process?
Designers always provide more inspiration and a way to push my boundaries.
9. What do you recommend for beginners?
Play, practice and find your style.
10. Which painting ‘rule’ or idea do you refer to over and over? Which have you tossed out?
I don’t really have any rules. I paint based on my current inspiration. For commissioned pieces, I really look at the paint swatches and fabrics to give the designer exactly what they want!
11. In your opinion, what is something that will never go out of style?
COLOR. And lots of it!
Featuring our Laura Park Decorative Pillows.
Featuring our Laura Park Apparel.
Check out our beautiful Laura Park Collection! What is your favorite piece? Let us know in the comments below!