It’s no secret that we’re major foodies here at Fresh American HQ. From baked salmon with a tropical salsa to tomato pie and some pretty phenomenal cupcakes, we’re rarely happier than when we’re in the kitchen, testing out new recipes. But some days, we just don’t have the time to spare on elaborate prep, yet we still want a meal that’s fresh, flavorful, quick, and easy. Enter the sassy sandwich.
For this new series, we’re going beyond the standard deli fare to bring you some of Annie’s favorite flavor-packed sandwiches. Each of these sandwich recipes has to fit the following criteria:
- They must contain fresh, healthful ingredients that can be picked up in most markets
- They should be quick to put together; components that can be prepped in advance are a huge plus!
- They need to be so incredibly tasty, you could serve them at a casual lunch or dinner without feeling like you’re shortchanging guests out of something “fancier.”
Now that you have the basics of the sassy sandwich, let’s get to it, shall we? Today’s edition is an Asian-inspired, sweet-and-spicy Coconut Curry Chicken Salad with fresh greens, served on light, crispy toasted naan. What makes this recipe so special is the rich combination of a coconut milk– and mayonnaise-based sauce punched up with curry powder, ginger, and cumin. The raisins and shredded coconut are wonderful textural additions, and the cashews give the sandwich extra crunch, plus some superhealthy proteins.
Coconut Curry Chicken Salad on Toasted Naan
Recipe by Sarah Bessette
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- Coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted or curry cashews
- 4 pieces of naan
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- A handful of finely chopped mint for garish
- Fresh mixed greens
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the chicken with the coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Line a baking pan with foil and spray it with nonstick spray. Roast the chicken in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until lightly browned and the juices run clear. Allow the chicken to cool, and then cut into small cubes; set aside. This step should be done advance.
2. Add the mayonnaise, coconut milk, shredded coconut, curry powder, honey, ginger, roasted cumin, and shallot to an extralarge covered container. Shake vigorously to combine.
Toss the cooled chicken into the dressing mixture, add the raisins and cashews, and shake again to combine all ingredients. Place the salad in the refrigerator to chill while preparing naan.
3. In a microwave-safe dish or bowl, microwave the extra coconut oil and honey for 20 seconds.
4. Cut each piece of naan in half. Brush the top of each half with the honey/oil mixture. Place the naan on a baking sheet and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until the tops are light/golden brown.
5. Layer the salad mixture and mixed greens between naan halves. Sprinkle the tops with finely chopped mint, and serve.
Love those table linens? Pick them up here.