Today we’re beyond thrilled to welcome the incredible Marian of Miss Mustard Seed to Fresh American! We’ve been huge fans of her for years (can you say milk paint maven?), and couldn’t wait to see what she had in store for a guest post. Check out this simple-to-make ottoman slipcover using nothing more than a tea towel, some trim, and a little thread.
I love small home décor projects that can be completed in less than an hour with inexpensive materials. It’s instant decorating gratification! So today I’m going to share one of those projects with you—making a stool/ottoman slipcover out of a linen tea towel.
This project can be adapted to work for chairs and barstools, as well. You can even get fancy with ties for the legs, a hand-painted or embroidered monogram, ribbon embellishments . . . whatever works with your style. The options really are limitless.
What you’ll need:
- A stool/ottoman
- Tea towel (I used a vintage hemp tea towel)
- Coordinating pleated trim
- Sharp scissors
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating all-purpose cotton thread
How to do it:
1. Spread the tea towel facedown on the stool/ottoman. Make sure it is lined up and even on all four sides. Pinch fabric on either side of each corner to make darts. Pin in place. Fabric should be fitted to ottoman once all four corners have been pinned.
2. Cut away excess fabric with sharp scissors. This seam will be exposed, so make sure cuts are straight.
3. Sew darts on sewing machine, and remove pins.
4. Turn slipcover right side out and fit onto stool/ottoman. Tuck pleated trim under fabric edge and pin in place. If fabric isn’t tightly woven and will fray, turn fabric edges under when pinning. Allow trim edges to overlap by about ½” where ends meet. Sew on trim and remove pins. Cut loose threads and iron if necessary.
I hope this simple project has inspired you to try something similar in your own home. For more project ideas, visit me at my blog.
Want to embellish your home? One lucky reader will win a $100 shopping credit toPineConeHill.com! Check out the Rafflecopter entry form below for 4 easy ways to enter! Contest ends on Thursday, June 20 at 11:59 p.m. EST. View the full details.
Congratulations to our winner, Cindi from Illinois!