From time to time, we hear people say, “I love the idea of an indoor/outdoor rug, but I don’t really have an ‘outdoors.’ How am I supposed to clean the rug when it gets stained?” Well, hang on to your socks, stylephiles, because we’ve got some ped-blowing news: it’s actually super easy to clean an indoor/outdoor rug—even a big boy, like our Samode Denim, shown here—inside your shower or tub. Here’s how our apartment-dwelling staffers do it:
1. Roll up the indoor/outdoor rug for easy transport.
2. Lay the rolled rug in the shower or tub, and unroll just enough to expose the soiled area on the floor or tub bottom.
3. Fill a bucket with cool water and your favorite earth-friendly detergent; we like Method, but you can even use bleach for stubborn stains like wine and pet urine.
4. Don your rubber gloves (with an authoritative snap, of course), and brush the cleaning mixture into the stain. Lighter and recent stains will come out the fastest; you may need to apply more elbow grease for dark or older ones.
5. Turn on the shower and allow it to rinse out the soap, or pour a bucket of clean water over the scrubbed area till the water runs soap-free. If the stain hasn’t come out completely yet, repeat numbers 4 and 5 until it does (trust us; it will!).
6. Once fully cleaned and rinsed, roll the rug back up, and prop it against one corner of the shower or tub; this will allow all the water to run off. Depending on the size of the rug and the humidity level in your bathroom, it could take anywhere from a few hours to a day for the rug to dry completely. Opening the window and doors of the bathroom will help.